Siding replacement is a significant investment, which is why it’s important to choose a brand that gives you confidence. You’ll often see James Hardie siding mentioned for its undeniable benefits—but what’s also exciting is that this company stands behind their products with top-notch warranties.
Here’s what to expect from the Hardie company’s two warranties, including how they work and how long they last—so you can see why it’s well worth choosing America’s #1 fiber cement siding!
Lasting Years of Peace of Mind about Your Hardie Siding Products
The James Hardie company has tested and proven the durability of its siding and trim against the major elements that concern homeowners—including weather, pests, fire, and more. And they’re so confident in their products that they offer a transferrable, lengthy warranty—the best siding guarantee around.
How long does the Hardie product warranty last?
You can count on your siding and trim coverage to last for many years after installation:
- 30-year limited warranty for HardiePlank lap, HardiePanel vertical, and HardieShingle sidings, as well as HardieSoffit panels
- 15-year limited warranty for HardieTrim boards
- 10-year limited warranty for HardieWrap weather barrier, seam tape, and flashing
How product defects are covered
These guarantees cover you in case of manufacturing defects that affect your Hardie siding’s performance. The defective portion of the product will be repaired or replaced, or you may receive reimbursement for up to twice the defective product’s original purchase price, as determined by the Hardie company.
What else is covered
Since Hardie siding has different product lines for different climates, your siding will be warrantied for your specific region only if you’ve used the appropriate product line. For the Chicago area, that means HZ5 Hardie siding, which is made to stand up to cold, wet weather.
In addition, Hardie ensures that for the length of the warranty, your siding will be resistant to damage from hail and termites.
Colors that Are Guaranteed for 15 Years
Hardie siding products come with an option to add color within the manufacturer’s factory setting. Known as ColorPlus™ technology, this professionally added color is baked on in a controlled environment to ensure top-notch quality. If you choose ColorPlus, the work is done before installation, and is warrantied for 15 years.
What the ColorPlus warranty covers
This warranty is strictly for the color finish produced by ColorPlus technology and doesn’t address siding product defects or paint. It applies to the homeowner who originally installs the Hardie products, plus the first person they transfer the warranty to. Your ColorPlus finish is protected against peeling, cracking and chipping.
What isn’t covered by the Hardie warranties
These two warranties do have their limits. Here’s what to know about these limitations and restrictions:
- Transferability — Hardie warranties are only transferable to the first owner after the person who installs them.
- Improper installation — Since fiber cement is hefty and requires careful application, your siding won’t be covered if the installation doesn’t follow Hardie standards.
- Natural disasters and damage — This includes issues caused by water leaks, tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, and other severe weather, as well as damage from mold, mildew, etc.
- Structural issues — Issues related to a house settling, foundation problems, and other structural damage aren’t covered.
- Neglect or abuse — Hardie siding and colors aren’t warrantied against a failure to keep a home cared for, nor are deliberate alterations of your Hardie products, such as by cutting or painting them.
How do you file a claim?
If your siding and trim show signs of damage or defects, you’ll need to give the Hardie company written notice within 30 days. The written notice should describe where the damage is located, what the damage is, photos, and proof of purchase.
Get the Most of Your Hardie Warranty by Choosing the Right Installation Team
The best way to ensure you get the longest life out of your Hardie siding is to have the installation performed by a company that knows exactly what they’re doing. This gives you peace of mind that your home is protected, and it also keeps your valuable warranties intact.
As a James Hardie Elite Preferred Contractor, our siding installation team members are experienced and well-trained in the manufacturer’s installation techniques. At Siding and Windows Group, we’ve been vetted by the James Hardie Company and have earned their seal of approval so homeowners like you can rest assured we’ll do the job right and ensure you get the full benefits of their impressive, industry-leading warranties.
Learn more about what makes Hardie siding such a top-performing choice for your Chicago home.