Below are 12 questions to ask and research when choosing a remodeling contractor. Whether you choose Siding & Windows Group or another Chicagoland contractor, we encourage you to do your homework, and take all of these factors into consideration.
- Is the estimate a low-ball price and too good to be true?
- Does the company carry liability insurance?
- Is the company licensed?
- What is the reputation of the company?
- How complete and comprehensive is the estimate?
- What is the amount and quality of the company’s experience?
- Does the company have real customer references?
- Does the company have professional affiliations?
- Does the business have a real location with a showroom?
- Does the company have any professional affiliations?
- Has the company won any awards for design and service?
- Does the company offer Guarantees & Warranties of their products and workmanship?
When searching for a contractor for your siding, windows or exterior remodeling project, it’s important to find the right contractor. One you can trust with your family and home.
How to find the right contractor, one you can TRUST.
Ask your neighbors, friends and co-workers if they know a trusted siding or remodeling contractor.
Look for contractors that have a track record. You don’t want your home to be their learning experience.
Check out each contractor with your local Angie’s List reviews or Better Business Bureau. Contractors affiliated with the National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI) and the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) tend to be more established. Verified reviews from third parties such as Angie’s List will give you an excellent idea of what other homeowners have to say about their experience.
Contact at least three contractors to get written estimates.Prior to requesting proposals, make sure that each contractor is fully insured and licensed (if your state requires licensing). Ask for recent home owner references.
Prepare a complete description of the project and your expectations prior to meeting with the contractors. Give each contractor the same information so you will be able to properly compare their proposals. Make sure that each proposal includes everything you requested and the price is based on the complete project.
“It’s important to find a remodeling contractor who specializes in the right products, and who has an excellent track record in the community. Ask to see before & after pictures, and find out what kind of guarantees are in place after your buy.”
– Greg Bednarski (Owner: Siding & Windows Group)