In springtime, homeowners often begin improvement projects that will enhance their house’s curb appeal and boosts its value. And there’s a great way to add to your home’s space while also providing more ways to enjoy the outdoors as the weather warms up—adding a beautiful, inviting porch, patio or deck.
Spring is the perfect time to add to and improve upon the outdoor spaces of your home. Here’s a closer look at the advantages of investing in a patio, deck, or porch this year.
Gives You More Space to Enjoy Life
A major benefit of adding outdoor spaces like patios, decks, and porches to your home is that it increases the room you have for the lifestyle you enjoy. These spaces can offer you:
- Additional seating for guests when you’re entertaining
- Private outdoor areas to relax and enjoy pleasant weather
- More square footage, which is appealing to homebuyers
Outdoor spaces such as decks, porches, and patios are a great way to add character to your house in an affordable way. Consider these money-saving facts:
- These outdoor spaces typically don’t require homeowners to invest in drywall, carpeting, tile, plumbing, insulation or other similar elements that make adding a new room pricey.
- Porches and decks don’t usually count as living space, so they don’t typically increase your taxable square footage or raise your property taxes.
- Because home buyers enjoy nice outdoor spaces, installing a porch, deck, or patio can give your home a boost in perceived value if you wish to sell it.
Creates Greater Outdoor Enjoyment
One of the most appealing benefits of adding a porch, deck, or patio to your home is how well it enhances your ability to enjoy the outside world. Depending on the features you install and the time of year, your outdoor space can:
- Provide firm, comfortable flooring to walk barefoot on
- Offer a roof to shield you from the sun and rain
- Screen out insects and pests
- Keep the space cool on hot days so it’s more comfortable to be outside
- Give you a fun, relaxing space to enjoy the fresh air
Offers Comfort for Guests
If you enjoy entertaining family and friends out of doors when the weather is nice, then you know that the atmosphere and amenities you provide can take your outdoor parties up a notch. With a newly installed or remodeled deck, porch, or patio, guests can enjoy:
- The same comfortable, inviting space that your indoor areas offer, making it more pleasant for guests to spend time outdoors with you
- Shelter from unpleasant weather when they approach your front door or spend time in your backyard
- A place to enjoy food and drink, conversation and scenery — and a great way to give you more room to invite more people!
Adds a Touch of Beauty
There’s nothing like a polished look to your house’s exterior to boost curb appeal and enhance how pleased you are with your home’s appearance. Home improvement projects that focus on the house’s outdoor spaces can add:
- A beautiful focal point to welcome in guests
- An attractive design and look that makes your home stand out as a star in its neighborhood
- A pleasing place to add touches of your personal style and extend your design tastes to the outside of your home as well as inside it
How to Get the Most Out of Your Patio Porch or Deck
As you dream and plan your ideal outdoor living space, keep in mind these questions to help you arrive at a porch, deck, or patio that fits you and your home:
How much space do you need?
If you’re planning to entertain large groups outdoors on a regular basis, or if your family is large and enjoys grilling all summer long, add a deck that is roomy enough for a grill or two and ample seating.
Do you want an open area or a closed-in space?
An open deck that leads naturally into your backyard may be ideal for throwing large, lazy, casual summer get-togethers. A screened-in patio is an excellent choice for homeowners who value privacy and quiet alone time. An enclosed porch with glass windows provides added protection from thieves and weather for valuable possessions such as a stereo system, your favorite books, or special furniture.
What design elements matter most to you?
Do you prefer a space designed to withstand active young children and grandchildren? Do you want a space that allows you ample places to hang twinkle lights? Do you want built-in elements like a luxury grill or fun features like a chimenea or freestanding firepit?
Add Beautiful Outdoors Spaces to Enhance Your Chicago Home
Your home should be a warm, inviting, comfortable refuge that enhances your lifestyle—inside and outside. Adding a deck, porch, or patio—or replacing an old, worn existing one with a fresh, new, beautiful version—is a great home improvement project that will boost your home’s value and your enjoyment of it all year long.
The Siding & Windows Group loves making Chicago area homeowners’ dreams come true with beautifully installed, superbly performing outdoor spaces that allow you to live your life to the fullest. And there’s no better time than the present to get started on planning and building the porch, patio or deck you’ve been longing for.
We use the only premier, attractive, long-lasting building materials to create decks, porches, and patios that homeowners are happy to come home to. And if you have a special request or unique design idea you’d like to realize, tell us about it—we love finding ways to create the home exterior you’re craving. Simply schedule a consultation and a free quote to get started on making the most of your home’s outdoor spaces this year.