Chicago’s Vinyl Siding Expert
Vinyl siding is a perfect replacement product for wood houses beginning to show their age on the outside. The product has an appearance similar to wood including a “wood grain” type finish. It is a perfect choice to upgrade the exterior of a home; it’s great for “fix and flips,” ideal for rental properties, and is a terrific option for other residential or commercial properties where the price point cannot justify the expense of other exterior improvement products.
Vinyl siding is used primarily on single-family homes priced up to $250,000. Approximately 1/3rd of its production is used for new construction, and 2/3rds is used in the remodeling industry. It is a very popular replacement for many Chicago homes that were originally built with traditional wood siding products.
Using Vinyl Siding
Recent technological advances mean that higher end vinyl siding products now include UV (ultra violet) stabilizers to provide resistance to breakdown from UV light. Most major manufacturers apply a spectrally selective UV coating that to the surface that filters out UV rays from the sun which would otherwise degrade the PVC material (polyvinyl chloride) that the siding is made of. Dry climates are also more suited for this product than wet climates as vinyl siding has been shown to “yellow” less in dry conditions.
Environmental Considerations of Choosing Vinyl Siding for Your Chicago Home
PVC is an extruded thermoplastic polymer. Environmentally, there are pros and cons to its use. The environmental pros are:
- It uses less energy to produce than other types of siding. This is a very good thing since more than over 2 billion square feet are being produced annually.
- It has significant insulating and heat saving properties, so it is considered a “green” product because it will save significant energy. This, of course, also benefits consumers by resulting in noticeably lower utility bills for heating and cooling their homes.
- The lack of need for painting also means fewer toxins in air and water.
- New vinyl siding can be recycled (such as factory remnants and job site leftovers) but unfortunately, old product removed during remodeling is not recyclable.
- The other downside is that no manufacturer in the market currently produces vinyl siding composed of recycled content. However, most people feel that its energy saving properties — both in the manufacturing process and in its installed applications — make up for this fact.
Vinyl Siding Manufacturer’s We Use:
CertainTeed has been in business for over 100 years. It’s a brand you can trust. CertainTeed is the acknowledged leader in vinyl and polymer siding, setting the standard for the industry. Year after year, CertainTeed siding has been Rated #1 in Brand Use by remodelers, builders, architects and consumers.
Every Alside product is designed to combine a lifetime of beauty and performance with low maintenance. Alside products are designed to improve the enjoyment of your home, as well as its value. Whether you are remodeling, restoring a historic home or building a new one, you can create distinction and appeal with the colors, styles and features only Alside can offer. Alside has been the innovator in low maintenance exteriors since 1947. Alside products feature proprietary ingredients and engineered designs for performance, durability and appearance you won’t find anywhere else. Ever since Alside introduced the first low-maintenance residential siding in 1947, they’ve been raising the bar on appearance and performance. Today, Alside’s advanced technology delivers stronger, more rigid siding systems that hug the home tighter, as well as rich, long-lasting colors and subtle textures that capture the authentic look of wood. Trim and accessories are available in a full range of styles and complementary colors for a completely custom look. Whether you are remodeling a Victorian jewel or building a new home, whatever your budget, you will find that Alside’s vinyl and steel siding offers the choice and value you’re looking for.
Since 1932, Mastic has provided innovative and quality building products to transform a house into a home. Today’s homeowners want product performance, low maintenance, workmanship and peace of mind. But exterior beauty is important to them, too, because they know first impressions count. That’s why so many homeowners trust Mastic. For over 70 years, Mastic has pioneered complete exterior solutions—offering reliability, craftsmanship and styles to beautify any home.